Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My First Blog.....Memories of This Country Girl



I've always been a country girl at heart. I can't remember a time when I didn't love country things. As a little girl, I used to pretend I was the pioneer girls in the books I read. I always loved watching westerns and old prairie or farm movies. I remember playing at my grandma's house in the fields and pretending I was living on the farm, or traveling in a covered wagon. I'm sure the cows out there in that field were as entertained and intrigued by me as I was by them (actually I thought they were staring at me and they spooked me sometimes). My brother or cousins would sometimes get in on the pretending with me and it would occasionally go in the direction of a western. When the sun would go down and that play would cease, we would go out and catch fireflys (lightnin' bugs as we called them) in a jar! I loved every minute of it......those were the days!




As a teenager, in 7th grade, I remember writing a book that our librarian helped edit for me. Ya wanna know what it was called? Yep, .....you guessed it.....Country Girl. I'd give anything if I could find that book now. It got lost somewhere in the shuffle of moving one time, I guess. I'd love to share it with my kids! My main character was named Laura (inspired by Laura Ingalls Wilder of course), a girl that lived in the city but longed for the country life. She went to spend the summer with her aunt and uncle in the country and it told of her adventures while she was there.




And speaking of Laura Ingalls Wilder, I rarely ever missed an episode of Little House on the Prairie. I'm pretty sure it was Thursday nights and I still love to watch those reruns.




In our homeschooling, I'm in the second go around of reading the Little House books aloud. First time around was with our (now 19 year old) son when he was around 2nd or 3rd grade, and then now with our 9 year old daughter. We then get the privilege of enjoying a Little House Day with another family that are also reading the books at home. We get to act out...dress up...eat pioneer foods....and do activities similiar to what happened in the book we read. I get to pretend to be a pioneer girl for a whole day! We're currently reading On the Banks of Plum Creek.




And now that I'm a wife and mother, I still love everything country. The older, worn, tattered things just seem like a dear friend to me. My home has always been decorated in a country style of some sort. It just gives me that warm, cozy, and inviting atmostphere that I love. It's not really a popular way of decorating around here (I get so excited if I drive by a home that hints of that decor), but that doesn't matter to me. (I've never chose the popular way of anything actually.)




Come to think of it, I'd still love to live on a farm. I have to confess though that I'm not an early riser so I'm not sure how that would work out for me! I guess it's just that the simpler times, dirt roads, old farmhouses, country barns, porches and fields appeal to me!




I want to invite you to stop in and visit my blog! I'd love to share my thoughts, experiences, adventures and photos on country decorating, homeschooling, my home and family with you through another love of mine.....writing and photography! I'd love to hear your comments! I'll have to warn you though, it won't be anything too fancy....after all, I am just.......................This Country Girl at Home.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Love the name of your blog!! Best of luck with it...and don't forget to post lots of photos!!!

Daffodil Hill said...

Congrats on a blog well done! I will definitely be checking in often. I'm something of a country girl, too. : )

Katy said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Tammy!!! Thank you so much for your wonderful comment on my blog! I agree with you. So far, i agree mostly with what she is saying...although her words are very blunt and harsh and actually made me cry cuz I almost feel like I am not allowed to ever be sad or tired according to her...it makes me feel overwhelmed! LOL I am totally loving all the pics on your blog!!! I look forward to getting to know you!!! :)

OH...and yep...i plan on starting to homeschool this summer/fall!!! :)

TMWdeb said...

Great job Tammy!
I love Little House on the prarie too. The Waltons was my favorite show, loved the kitchen scenes so you could check out all their old stuff!
Deb
www.thingsmadewonderful.com

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Congratulations on your blog! I just began mine sometime at the end of last year and I am really enjoying it. Learning so much and sharing with other dear sisters. It has been a blessing.

I'm a country girl at heart too that has been so blessed to finally be living the dream!

Look forward to sharing with you,
Lea

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tammy, I enjoyed this post so very much. By the way, have you ever visited Laura Ingalls Gunn's blog? I've known her for about 4 years.

decortoadore.blogspot.com