Monday, May 26, 2008

In His Sister's Eyes

Today's blog is dedicated to my brother, Richie. I picked today (Memorial Day) for this blog to honor him because he is currently serving our country in Iraq.


Richie is my only sibling. I'm four years older than him, but I love to ask kids, "Who do you think is older?" ....because for some reason, they all think he is older....he actually looks really young!


If you were around him for any length of time, he'd probably share with you some of the things he had to "endure" as my little brother....but don't believe EVERYTHING you hear! He'd probably tell you that I was a little on the bossy side as kids (well he might say alot on the bossy side), that I was and still am...stubborn (that might be true.) He'd probably also say that he wasn't fond of following along behind me in school as Tammy's little brother (with the expectations from teachers). He'd also tell you that I liked to scare him into thinking that I wasn't really his sister...that actually I was an "alien" that took his sister(actually I did do that...and it was kind of fun....mean I know!) And he might tell you that I sent him head first into our TV when we were playing our made up game of "Zip Zop". (That could explain some of his goofiness, I guess).

Here we are as kids:



He was actually a good sport when we were kids. He'd play barbies with me and I'd play army with him. Playing army with him wasn't really a sacrifice on my part though because I loved playing farm and westerns and stuff like that...so that was fine with me. However, he'd be quick to point out that when he did play barbies, he was always "Ken" though!


Richie is really the fun....spontaneous...goof-off....kind of guy. I'm more of a cautious...think-it-through (too much sometimes)...kind of girl. I'm not nearly as fun as he is! I really wish I was more like him in alot of ways! He's just an all around likeable guy! Come to think of it, my son is a whole lot like him. I sometimes slip up and call him Richie. He has that entertaining quality about him!


Richie & I a few years ago:
(This was taken during
our overall phase!)




Now he's all grown up and a husband and dad to three. He is serving our country in Iraq in the Air Force Reserves. I'm very proud of him and I wanted to honor him, as well as the other men and women, that sacrifice time with their families, their convenience and comfort to protect our freedom in a foreign land. So for Richie, Daniel, Brian & BJ, and in memory of Matthew (a close friend of Richie's son who gave his life for our country), I'd like to say thank you. I appreciate you and honor you today.


Richie now serving in Iraq:


And for Richie, from your sis,....I love you. You might be my "little" brother, but you really are a giant in your sister's eyes.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

What a wonderful dedication to your brother! Hope he gets to read that sometime! How long has he been in Iraq, and how much longer does he have to be there?

I don't have any siblings and don't have any relatives in the military either. My Dad was in the Air Force though and got out sometime after I was born. The base he was at closed sometime in the early 90's, I think it was.

Andrea

Winter said...

I pray for thier safety.This post made me cry.I've been redoing my photos in scrapbook form and just finished old pics with my brother and sister.We do stay little sisters and brothers in our hearts,don't we?God Bless our men and women in the service and thier families.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a wonderful post about your brother! The sacrifices our troops make for our country is unbelievable!! I pray for a safe return. We are so blessed to live in such a wonderful country.

Katy said...

I loved this Tammy! Your brother seems like a great guy! i love all the pics! :) I pray he stays safe in Iraq and comes home soon!

Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog...i appreciate each of them! xoxo
Katy

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Please send Richie my deepest appreciation and thanks for serving our country so proudly! I am forever grateful to him and his fellow service men and women.

I will keep him in my prayers so that he may come home safe and sound to his family ASAP. God Bless Him!

hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

so sweet!!! I have a younger brother & he & I are so close now. I love him to death!! I hope your brother has a safe return home. I ahve a cousin I am close w/in afghanistan. He is in the marines. I think it's time to bring our troops home!!

Julie said...

I hope he comes home soon safe and sound. Thank him for his sacrifices for us. I have 3 brothers. They played Barbie's with me, too. They even let me put curlers in their hair--not always with a smile though. Have a great day. Julie

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

God Bless your brother and family, and ALL who serve our country and sacrifice for our freedom!!! What a wonderful dedication to him!!! Take cared!!~Wendy

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway!! Good luck! And as always, thank you for such nice comments!

As for posting about my giveaway, you can just mention it in one of your posts before the contest is over with (June 2). You can have a link in your post to go to my contest or you can just say that I'm in your favorites. I don't know what I'm doing half the time on the computer. I just click, click, click until it's right...

And for hearting me on etsy, I think you have to sign in with a user name to do that. If you decide to then you just go over to my store and add me to your "favorites". It's hard to explain things when you're typing. :)

Have a great evening!

Paula said...

What a sweet post, Tammy...
I'm all misty-eyed now..
I know you must be so proud of him!

Deb said...

Hi Tammy, what a beautiful tribute to your brother, I'm sure that if he could read it right now it would do him proud to know how much you cherish and love him. Now, you were a little stinker as a little kid and it showed on your face in that childhood photograph.LOL! Wasn't childhood fun? I think back at some of the mean things that I did also, but just like you, nothing that would scar anyone for life. I love your stove it's really beautiful and fits your style of decor perfectly. I was amazed by the ballet lesson, how nice of your husband to allow you to photograph it, he's a really good sport and a really good student. Tammy, thanks for stopping by, I was so glad that you did and it was a nice visit with you also. Deb

pinetrees on the moor said...

Hi Tammy thank you for your tips on uploading my pictures, i think i am getting the hang of it.I have 5 brothers and they all served in Royal Air Force here in the united kingdom, so i know how proud you are of your brother.My brothers didn't serve any any wars like your brother.though one brother went to the falklands just after the war ended there.They have served thier time and now on civy street.Its so nice that you are close to your brother.I will pray he comes home safely to you all.Kate

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Thank you, Richie! Our family appreciates you more than you'll ever know.

Such a beautiful way to honor your brother!

Blessings,
Lea