Friday, May 16, 2008

Faux Geraniums




What's a girl to do that loves all the pretty, colorful & cheerful flowers but just doesn't have a green thumb?




Well until now, I just avoided certain flowers because I just knew that if I had the real thing, they'd look good for a bit...then the same old thing would happen....they'd either shrivel, quit blooming or become scraggly. (Ok, I know it could be called neglecting your flowers but I really don't do it on purpose!) Or maybe flowers just know if you enjoy the watering, talking-to- them, pruning-them-process. Maybe I just don't baby them enough. Or maybe it's just that there's so many other things I'd rather be doing at that moment.




It seems to be so windy around here that the flowers dry out so quickly. And yes, I know you should water them in the early morning or the late evening, but there's two problems with that. First of all, I'm not an early rise, remember? Second of all, the mosquitos also love the early morning and late evening! And our mosquitos.....well they can carry you off!




Anyway thanks to some online friends on the Country Sampler forum, I spotted the most realistic looking faux flowers (geraniums actually). I was so excited because they really fooled my eye! I was just sure they were real!




Now, I'm still a fan of the real thing when I can use them in a spot where I know I can realistically keep them alive, but I really love geraniums and I've never had that great of luck with them (same thing for ferns and petunias most of the time). Also these were going to be going on my sunporch that for the time being is not cooled. (We have a unit coming this next week sometime though.......yeah!)




Most of the ladies on the forum had gotten their faux geraniums at JoAnns. If you're lucky enough to have a JoAnns, and aren't blessed with a green thumb (or committed to real ones), you should really check them out!




I don't have a JoAnns near me, so I decided to try out Hobby Lobby - no luck there. Although I don't usually do as well in Michaels, I decided to pop in there real quick and just see. I was very excited to find their flowering bushes (including geraniums) at 50% off. They were regularly $9.99, so I got them for $5.






So...I bought the clay pot, styrofoam, and spanish moss to do my own arrangement (all this added up to another $5). I came home and talked Jason in to brushing some white paint over the clay pot since he was out there painting on the coffee table anyway.




I put it all together and I have to say that I'm satisfied.......no I'm actually very happy....with my faux geraniums.










10 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Tammy - Nice to meet someone else new to blogging too! I love your faux geranium - I have one inside too. Do you have any links to any house pictures? On COuntry Sampler I do under Primgal55. That leads to my Webshots Albums. I'd love to see more pics of your DH's wonderful creations! hugs, Linda

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Tammy! I am new to the blogging scene too. I started back in February and it gets very addicting!!

You and your husband work very well together creating such beautiful prims!! If he likes it or not. :) I can't wait to see more of your work and home!! I will be back soon!!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Linda,

I'm TammyS on the Country Sampler forum and there's links to my album there. We're trying to redo some rooms, so I'll be adding pictures of the new rooms as we go. The latest one (redo that is) with photos is the Dining Room. We'll soon have some Sunporch ones to post. There's quite a few of Christmsas on the link. I'd also like to add a slideshow on here sometime. I'm just working on figuring everything out now.

I've been a fan of your home for quite awhile now. I've seen it on Rate MyY Space, Webshots and the Country Sampler forum. I absolutely LOVE the stepback cupboard in your dining area! In fact, that just might be the next build it project for my husband!

Thanks for taking time to comment! I really do enjoy looking at photos of your home and then to find your blog was another bonus!

Tammy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Don't you just love those geraniums? Glad Michaels had them for you and you got them alot cheaper too!

Blessings Rondell

Daffodil Hill said...

I'd like to find some faux geraniums, too. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects. : )

Farmhouse Blessings said...

They really do look real. I have a pot that needs some of those. It is on my front porch and shaded and I always buy and real geranium for it ... and it always dies! LOL You'd think I'd learn, but no. I just keep trying. Think I'll try some of those silk ones next year!

Smiles,
Lea

Shirlee said...

Hi Tammy, congrats on getting your blog going. I haven't been to the Sampler board in a while so I'm trying to get caught up with what everyone is doing.
Aren't those faux geraniums great? They're so real looking without the "odd" smell that the real ones sometimes have. Plus they'll always look great!
I'll be back again, in the meantime..
Have fun blogging! :)

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I am so amazed by faux flowers!! They arew so realistic!! I to have a faux geranium in my livingroom and I love it!! I just started blogging in April and I love it!! My hubby also builds my wood furniture for me!! Aren't we Blessed!!! It was nice to "meet" You!!lol..By the way I have a sister named Tammy!! Take care!!~Wendy

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

So glad I found you!!!!! Just LOVE the geraniums! My thumb is anything but green, and these look wonderful! I'll have to go to Joann's and get some!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Cora

Anonymous said...

i love the flowers! They are so cute & look real! come visit my blog sometime!!