Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Book

I was recently asked to speak at a homeschooling meeting on a panel of homeschooling moms. I was given a questionaire guideline prior to the meeting on the topics I was to address. One of the questions asked, "What single thing about homeschooling do you enjoy the most?" That was easy. I knew my answer. Besides the fact that I just love to spend time with my kids everyday, the thing I enjoy the most is the time I spend reading aloud with them. Before I left for the meeting, I asked my daughter, Joy, that same question. Her answer was "when you read to me." That's Joy in the picture below.




If you're thinking....but my child is older now...he or she can read books for themselves....why should I be reading aloud to them....you're missing the point, and more importantly a real blessing. It's the sharing of a book together that is so special. Grab a snack, get comfortable, snuggle up with your kids and give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You'll be making memories that will last a lifetime! To put it plain and simple, reading together as a family is a bonding experience.


Though I suspected it before, I am now convinced that if your children see that you value the written word, it will cultivate a love of reading in them. Reading aloud with your children grows lifetime readers, I believe.


We've always put a great deal of value on books in our home. Since our kids were babies, they've been exposed to books everywhere. We have built a library over the years. We have shelves and baskets all over the house. We've read to them from babies to teenager. When they were preschoolers, we would tell them how exciting it would be when they learned to read and could read anything and read to us! All they've ever known is that reading is fun and they both couldn't wait until they could do so themselves. Teaching them to read to me rated right along beside watching them walk for the first time or hearing their first words! And now, there's usually a book beside their bed and it goes along with them if they have to wait anywhere for any length of time....in the car...at an appointment, etc.


I believe if you can read, you can learn anything. Reading definitely feeds the imagination and opens up worlds of learning and opportunities. In fact, broad reading also equals broad vocabulary and most often, develops a good writer too.


Our 9 year old daughter, Joy, summed it (reading) all up in a poem she wrote one evening (on her own time). She brought it to share with her dad and me. She was 8 at the time. I couldn't have said it any better. I'd love to share it with you.




A Book


When I get a book down from our library upstairs,

I hold the whole world in my hands.

A book is a door.

When you go in, you're enchanted.

A book is like a favored painting,

That draws you to itself and captures you.

A book.





















8 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Tammy,

I whole heartedly agree with you about books and reading with your kids. It is one of life's most simple yet most rewarding past times. I loved it when one of the kids said "mom - read to me". I intend to continue the tradition someday when I am a grammy - starting with the library of books I read to my own. Thanks for a great post!

hugs, Linda

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Oh, I agree a book opens a whole new world...We are book readers at our house. I should say that we read to our boys. My husband and I should read more...My 4 year old is a avid reader. He can read for hours! And it all starts when you as a parent show excitement to open a book! I love the poem your daughter wrote. Very touching.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love to read....my three sons are readers too, but not so my daughter. Oh, well three out of four aren't bad:)
Have a great day!

Blessings Rondell

Glad Tidings Primitives & Folkart said...

I agree about the books and reading. I grew up in a "reading" home, and must say, I learned more from my personal reading than I ever did through formal teaching. Books were my best friends, my fantasy world, my romance, and later, my journey into a deeper spiritual life! So keep on reading!!!! Cora

PS: Come to my blog and sign up for the giveaway!

mammaof5js said...

You have quite a little poet on your hands! I am always amazed at the things kids can come up with, especially things that haven't been "assigned".
Thanks for sharing Joy's work.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Hello Tammy! Thanks again for visiting my little space in blogland! If you would like instructions on how to do the diaper cake, I have a link in my post where to go. My blog friend, Colleen did an excellent step by step instructions! Have a great day!

Andrea said...

Hi Tammy! Thanks so much for stopping by! You are welcome to anytime!

Yes, I do live in Australia. I've been here 12 years now. My husband and I actually met through the internet.

I don't really think that prim decorating is as popular here as I know it is in the US. I've only seen one prim store here, and boy was it fabulous! I didn't want to leave. I only wish it was closer to where I live, as I think it's about almost 2 hours away. I sure wish there were more around.

I think it is wonderful to hear that you homeschool. Unfortunately I don't homeschool my kids. My hubby hasn't ever really been keen on the idea. My boys really enjoy reading, as do I, and I hope my daughter will when she is old enough to read. She likes me reading to her very much, and loves to see the pictures in the books.

I'm going to add you to my reads so I can be sure to stop by again.

Blessins,
Andrea

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That is so very true, Tammy. I began reading to my boys as infants and we continue to read together as a family though my oldest is 18. It is a magical time for all of us.

Both of my older boys "unwind" at days end with a good book as well. Sometimes a novel or at times the whole "N" volume of the encyclopedia. LOL

Joy's poem is so lovely.

Smiles,
Lea

Did I call you Julie in my last post? Forgive me if I did. I am up way to late and my mind is getting foggy. I should be sleeping but my youngest is still awake in bed and I must wait him out. Hopefully soon ....