Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Weekend Trip....Fishing, Shopping & Eating...Oh My!

Well I guess you were probably expecting to hear about a real romantic anniversary getaway today....so I'm sorry to disappoint you! :) But in our defense, let me say that we do have date nights fairly regularly so we have our "romantic getaways"...but...this isn't one of them! :)

Jason and I did have a nice dinner out and a movie at home alone on our actual anniversary (last Thursday), but we (Jason, Joy & I....Colt had to work so he stayed home) spent the weekend at the home of our friends, Betty and Richard, in the Ozark foothills. My mom and dad met us there Friday night!

Along the way driving to our destination, we passed through the little town of Ravenden and Jason pulled over for me to get this picture. For all of you primitive lovers...that love crows...I had to get a picture of the giant raven welcoming visitors into their little town!



I've always loved this cabinet of Betty's. They found it in pieces in an old shed on their property. They brought it in and put it together, painted it, and added the curtain on the front (since it was minus the doors). She says she didn't intend or set out to collect roosters, she just had one or two and before she knew it...they multiplied! You know how is is..someone buys you one...another friend gives you another and so on...then you have a collection!



Jason, Joy & I spent Friday afternoon in the little town of shops. We just did some window shopping. I didn't buy a thing on Friday! Well I think we did buy Joy some candy and we had to stop by the ice cream shoppe!

Friday night I felt like I was in "computer heaven". Now mind you, they live in the boonies, probably 5-6 miles down a country gravel road (sure wish I had a picture of Black Beauty after that!)....they live that far out and have DSL....fast speed internet...I mean fast speed! Joy, Jason & I were all amazed at how quickly a page was "there" when we clicked on it! I was able to do my blogroll and make many blog visits. I was like a kid at Christmas or a kid at a candy store!

On Saturday, my dad, Richard, Jason & Joy went trout fishing. Joy had awaited this day with great anticipation....my dad had promised to take her trout fishing. Jason was the official photographer while Joy, Pop (my dad), and Richard fished. She absolutely loved it! She hung with the guys the whole time! I'm not sure they expected her to stick it out, but she did! Joy gave her trout to a nearby fisherman that was cheering her on to "catch him some more". He said, "Get em' girl", and that's all she needed to hear! She caught 4 trout that day!


Patiently waiting...

Hey, I got one!

It's SO cute! Poor fish!

Pop & Joy

Ankle deep...

Waist deep...

Okay, Joy...deep enough!

So she moved back a little..

And another catch...

Trying again...


They came home with lots of wet clothes and the flowers that Jason and Joy picked for me! (See I get romance everyday!) :) Well...almost.



While they were fishing, the ladies - my mom, Betty and I - went back to town to the shops. This time around I did buy some things. I picked up this little sign for my sunporch in a crafts mall booth and the double bucket carrier at my favorite shop, "Sassy Tree". (The lady at this store wants to put some of Jason's shutters in her store, by the way...We're excited about that!)



I also purchased some tarts (now I need a tart warmer..which I intend to order) in honeysuckle and harvest spice. I also bought the spinning bobbins at the same store. I haven't made up my mind for sure where I'm putting them just yet.



Then Saturday evening, we all went out to dinner at a local restaurant that featured a live band playing country music out front. Everyone had their lawn chairs spread out enjoying the music. After all of that eating, Betty made one of my dad's favorite finger foods...sausage and cheese balls...and one of Jason's favorites...brownies! I seriously have to diet now!

Sunday morning for the ladies was spent in Walmart. What trip to anywhere is complete without at least one stop in Walmart...whether you want to or not? We had to take my mom and dad's tire in for repair. It kept going flat. While we were there, Betty bought and gave me these yummy smelling candles for my kitchen! Wasn't that nice?



Meanwhile Joy was able to avoid the trip to Walmart and hang out with the guys again...trout fishing. She liked it so much..she asked to go back and they all took her again. This time she caught two more trout and she and her daddy also took a little swim in the Spring River!

Getting good at this fishing thing...

Very intent...

Working hard...

Pop and Richard...not working so hard...

A little help from Pop...

And another one!

Oh, and my dad (after seeing these pictures) wants to know if anybody can loan him a can of copper spray paint....for his white legs? :)

So as you can see..we had a very full weekend...and a fun one. Then when we got home Sunday evening..within an hour we met company coming to spend the night at our house and my mom's house next door. My sister-in-law lost her 42 year old sister. The funeral was Monday close by, so folks needed a place to stay the night. Monday was a busy and sad day.

In a nut shell, that's where I've been and what we've been doing the past few days. Now it's time to start thinking about school again...our homeschooling back-to-school meeting is this Monday evening so I've got lots of preparation for the group as well as our own personal school scheduling to do!

Thanks to everyone again for all your comments! :)

15 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

My hubby would be very jealous of all that fishing Joy was doing. I know there is good fishing down there. :)

I have the same double bucket you bought. My MIL got it for me. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I just have the hardest time figuring out what to put in it. Flowers in both ot them-the same or different?? I need ideas.

Your other buys were nice too! Sorry to hear about your SIL's sister. That is just too young.

Sounds like you are going to be busy. Glad you had a great time on your trip!

Katy said...

Wow! Sounds like a fantastic trip!!! I love all the pics! Joy is a great fisher-woman!!!

Deb said...

Hi Tammy, Joy was a Fishing Oueen, she looks like a pro. I really enjoyed it. The water looked great. I love the things you got out shopping too. Tell your dad no spray paint is needed, just a couple more days of fishing will do it. Thanks Tammy, that was so much fun! Deb

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Tammy, great pics of Joy learning how to fish. It looks more like she was teaches the other 'guys' how to fish!!LOL She really looks like it was all she expected and more! Fun kid!
I think your DH sounds just romantic enough--wildflowers are a beautiful way of saying 'I heart u'!
Sorry to hear about your SIL' loss. Will offer a prayer for the family.
Now, get some rest!!Vacations can be exhausting....

Something Nice and Pretty said...

It looks like you had a good time especially Joy:0 I'm glad she likes it...you couldn't get me in the water lol, I'd rather go shopping:) Love all that you bought a the country stores and you friend knew just what to buy you:)
*Rondell*

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Welcome back, Tammy!!! I'm so glad to hear that you all had a fabulous weekend.

It was so nice to see that you stopped by today...

Enjoy the rest of your week and all of those wonderful new goodies.

Daffodil Hill said...

You have quite a little fisherman(woman) on your hands! Glad you all had such a wonderful time! :)

Tammy said...

Well, it looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Love all the fishing pictures. I love to fish. Just dont like to bait the hook and take the fish off. LOL. You got some great goodies too. What a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing.

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Tammy love the photos and your little Joy is so cute. That picture of her with the water up to her neck, my heart stopped. Wow what a daring little thing, it looked like she caught on to fishing just fine. Sounds like you had a very romantic time, at least I think so. I am so sorry to hear about you Sils sister, will keep family in my prayers.

Hugs;
Alaura

Julie said...

My hubby and girls would be so happy to catch that many fish. They usually get skunked, but they have fun trying. Glad you had a nice time. I love your buys--very cute. Sorry to hear about your SIL'S sister. I hope everyon is okay. Have a nice evening. Julie

Katy said...

Hey Tammy!
You asked when we will start school...probably Sept. 2nd....the day after labor day weekend. I will prepare, though, the last week of August! :) I am really looking forward to it! I'm a lil nervous and there are a LOT of people who think I am crazy....but I really think this is what we are suppose to do!!!
Best of luck with your homeschooling!!!!! :)
xoxo
Katy

pinetrees on the moor said...

Hi Tammy i love the pictures of Joy fishing, if we have any more rain i won't need to go to a river to fish,and now i have a leak in my roof.Love the pictures of your friend Betty's cockerls, i am a sucker for anything to do with chickens.Please send some sunshine this way we need it lol.Take care~Kate~

Back in the Day said...

What a great trip! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love your finds - the bobbins are too cute!

Paula said...

Sounds like such a wonderful weekend.... Joy is my kinda girl- I LOVE to fish!!!
I need directions to Betty's house so I can swipe a few of her roosters!!! LOL

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That Joy is something else~what an amazing little girl she is! I love those photos.

Sounds like you had a lovely visit. Betty's cabinet is just as cute as can be.

We just began school. I love summer but I love being back to a routine and learning. I guess there are joys to every season, aren't there?

Smiles,
Lea