Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pop's Girls

This is a two page scrapbook layout of Joy and my neice, Laci (my brother's daughter). They are the only granddaughters. They were proceeded by three grandsons (Trey, Colt & Kemper). The girls are just about four years apart.



These pictures were taken on a trip to my brother's house. My sister-in-law, Missy, and I had rolled the girls' hair this particular evening in their sponge rollers for church the next morning. I loved the bouncy Shirley Temple curls....all dressed up in their Sunday dresses with bows in their hair for church on Sunday mornings! For us, it was an every Saturday night event...rolling Joy's hair up in the sponge curlers! It was a sad day when she thought she was too old to do that every week (a couple of years ago). We just do it special occasions now or sometimes she'll ask for her hair that way!

I just love these photos too! The girls were having a great time playing around this particular evening!



"Pop" is the name the grandkids call my daddy. Pop has given them all nicknames too. Joy is his "Sweet Pea" and Laci is his "Snuggles". Of course, the boys all had nicknames as well! I always said the girls (and the boys for that matter) had him wrapped around their little finger, so when I had this picture of them in their curlers, I knew just how they would be scrapbooked....and that these photos would be the perfect ones to tell the story of Pop and his girls!


I have no idea why the colors look so different in this picture...the pages had the same colors on them...I guess it was a different angle and thus the lighting made it appear a different color.

The journaling on the scrapbook page reads:

I think these photos are so appropriate. Just the way Joy and Laci have their hair all wrapped in curlers, so they have their Pop wrapped around their pinkies! These are his granddaughters and how he does spoil them! He gave them their nicknames. Joy is Sweet Pea. Laci is Snuggles. They love their Pop.

And here's a photo of them taken together just a few days ago when Laci was here (Joy is now nine and Laci will turn five this month):

23 comments:

Raggedy Angel said...

That is a wonderful scrapbook you have put together.
It looks like you had a great time on your trip...love those fishing photos! Beth

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Tammy, Loved all the pics of the fishing trip and goodies you got too! Love the bobbins!! How sweet Joy has a cousin she enjoys so much and those pages are works of art!

Penny rugs are not hard at all. Doing the blanket stitch around many points is abit tricky but I try not to sweat the small stuff so I do my best and let it go. But the blanket stitch is otherwise very easy. Here is a link to a blog with a tutorial. She has great tips. I use felted wool which is real wool that has been washed and dried and that shrinks it and tightens the fibers. You can practice on felt but get the wool felt instead of the cheap stuff. It's worth the extra cost.

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2007/9/tutorial-hand-sew-felt.aspx

I can't remember if I told you but Mandy did an awesome job on your header. It is just perfect!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Very cool scrapbook page. Oh man do I remember having my hair in sponge curlers on Saturday night for Sunday too. Only thing is my hair was so thicl all the curls just pulled out.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Stopping in to say hello-the fishing photos are priceless! I have always been a tom boy but I don't know if I could have done what Joy did, I have this fear of something being in the water that shouldn't be (I think it stems from watching Jaws too young). Thanks for sharing your trip:O)
Shayne Louree

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Awww...such sweet faces, Tammy! You did a beautiful job on that scrapbook layout. The girls just look so darn cute together and there's just nothing like that special relationship between grandfathers and their girls. Michaela and my dad are like two peas in a pod, and that little girl has him wrapped right around her finger, too.

Have a wonderful day, my friend!

Farmchick said...

Good morning!!

Loved all the pics....Grandparetns are so special and it is nice for children to have that special bond.

Have a great day!

Tania

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Beautiful, I love those pictures. They are priceless!
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Awww how cute are they! i wish i could do my hair in curlers! i have never gotten them to stay in or my hair to stay curled =C. Your scrap booking is amazing!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Two things: First, I am still dazzled by your new header. How much you must love it!
Second: Where do you find time to scrapbook? I haven't put out a page in months! I am embarassed!!!
The girls are adorable together. I remember curlers from my youth. I didn't know anybody did these any more what with curling irons and hot rollers. Good for you-keeping a tradition alive....

Nicole said...

I love those pages, you've done a great job. I also love the spinning bobbins. I've never seen any bobbins like that before.

Angie said...

Hey Tammy,

It looks like you all had a wonderful time on your trip! I am glad you made it home safely! I remember having my hair in those sponge rollers! I would pull them out halfway through the night..they would drive me crazy! I love your scrapbooking!

~Angie

Deb said...

Great Scrapbook pictures, and both girls are beautiful. Deb

Back in the Day said...

I loved the pictures with the hair in rollers! So cute! It is those pictures that will always make your family smile! Great job on the scrapbooking!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Tammy... please email me so we can chat about the aspartame. I tried to find your email but didn't see it.

Mary

Robin Beck said...

Hi Tammy,
I read your comment on Mary's blog about achey joints. I hope you don't mind that I popped in on your discussion. I just wanted to let you know I had to get off of all sweetners, artificial and real and my doctor also told me to take all gluten out of my diet. No more pain for me and I don't have to take medicine that gave me side effects. If I were you I would try just taking all sugars (artificial and real) out of your diet. I know it is hard but you should see a difference in a couple of weeks. If not and your doctors keep doing test on you ask them to take blood and check to see if your ANA is positive (this usually means there is a autoimmune disorder)
By the way...I have been lurking on your blog for a long time..I love all the cute things you make.
:)
Take care and feel better soon.
Robin

Julie said...

Beautiful girls---your scrapbook pages are darling. One day I will catchup, oh I mean start....lol--thanks for sharing. Julie

Catty Wampus said...

Hi Tammy; I loved your comment on my blog; believe me I get the fear of heights! I am so glad I found you; I love to read your posts and see your creativity; it inspires me to do more myself! I love the trip especially the raven! And the scrapbook pages; so cute those girls. See you again soon! Merrie

Robin Beck said...

Hi again Tammy,

Two FULL weeks with zero sugar before most all of the joint pain went away. I was thinking yours could be from the mono too though-It took my daughter a full year to recover. I'm not a doctor -I just know what worked for me...If you don't start feeling better real soon go see your doctor. We want you to be well! You have such talent and I really enjoy your blog. Feel free to E mail me anytime. My E mail address is on my blog. :)
Take care,
Robin

Tammy said...

Y'all have two very cute little ladies there. How great to do the scrapbook. One day it will be a great treasure.

The picture of the curlers is just too cute. My mama would roll her hair at night, but I dont remember her ever rollin mine.

Have a great day.

Paula said...

What cuties!!! I LOVE the one of them with their hair in curlers... "Beauty School Dropout"! LOL
You always have the most AWESOME music, Tammy! I haven't heard Floyd Cramer in years!

Daffodil Hill said...

Sweet pages, cute girls, wonderful Pop! : )

Farmhouse Blessings said...

How precious! Those pages sure show how very loved those little girls are.

I love the curlers!

Smiles,
Lea

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!