Monday, June 27, 2011

The Cedar Loft - Update #1

The Cedar Loft.  Calling it the pool house/garage apartment just didn't seem adequate.  We discussed names for it like The Cabana (sounded too tropical) and Timbertop Retreat and more, but in the end we agreed on The Cedar Loft.  Cedar Loft to go with our Cedar Haven.  :)



Every spare moment on the weekends, and some week nights, Jason has been steadily working on this project, with Colt and my daddy helping on the weekends.  So I thought, I'd share an update on the progress.

The covered porch is complete.  Yay!  It's so nice to sit under the fans perched high above the pool and watch the kids (if we're not in the pool or if there's no shady spot on the lower pool deck).  We still have some staining to do there, but for the most part, it is done!



Looking inside, you probably can't see the progress.  But it's there!  Well, maybe you can if I show you a couple of before pictures.


This end is becoming the kitchen, laundry room & bathroom.
And this end is the bedroom/living area.


The framing is done for the bathroom and laundry room.




The bathroom is tucked into the corner where one dormer window is located. 

The plumbing and electrical is in place now.  That's not anything pretty, but necessary.  :)

We've bought the tub/shower unit and it's in place, as well as the hot water heater.

The framing for the kitchen bar and countertop defines the small kitchen space.






Over here will be the open loft or studio style bedroom area.  It has closets on both sides tucked into the knee walls.




This area will be the small living room area.



Tucked behind here is storage space (for all our tubs of seasonal decor), and more.  To the front of that door, is room enough for a table and chairs.




This week, Jason is on vacation (a work-at-home vacation) and my Uncle Jesse is coming from Alabama for them to put in our a/c and heat unit (Uncle Jesse is a retired a/c and heating man). Joy helped Jason mix and lay the concrete pad for the outside a/c unit.



Hopefully at the end of the week, the insulation will go in also.  

Then comes the part where I will be helping more - the ceiling, walls, floor, painting, cabinets, countertops and then the really fun part.........decorating.  :)

It's coming together though.  It probably comes as no big surprise that the decor will be rustic/primitive/ country style. 

We're trying to do this as low budget as possible, searching out the most cost effective approach for each step.

Here's the plan:

The ceilings will be corrugated tin.  For the interior walls, we will be using exterior knotty barnside masonite siding (with cedar stain).



For the flooring, we decided to go with vinyl since it will be used as a pool house.  Although it probably wouldn't have been my first choice, it will hold up well to the water and we liked the price.  We found this rustic one at a local surplus warehouse.  I love the look of it with its wide planks and knotty holes!



A little closer view
Jason is going to build wooden countertops.  I was inspired by a couple of my bloggin' friends' homes and again, we liked the price of it.  That's alot of wood but guess what!  I get painted cabinets in here!  Yay!  We'll get contrast with the cabinets.  We're leaning toward using the distressed color of the TV cabinet in our bedroom.



Oh and here's the really ambitious part of the plan.....we'd like to have it all done by Labor Day.  Are you laughing?  My daddy did.  So we'll just have to see how far off we are!  :)

And there you have it......update #1.....and the plan.  I'll share again when we get a little further along.  Hopefully we'll have a productive week!

And I'll leave you with a snapshot I captured from the porch of The Cedar Loft yesterday evening.  I thought it was pretty with the sun going down.


    

Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed week!  :)

22 comments:

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a great space you're going to have, Tammy...can't wait to see how you decorate it when it's completed...you must be so excited :)

Gettysburg Homestead said...

That is going to be be a really awesome space! Can't wait to watch your progress. If I'm not mistaken this is how I found your blog in the first place when you were redoing the sunroom. :)

Mary

Wendi said...

That is a wonderful space! The flooring is not bad looking. I am a big fan of vinyl, but I think I could live with that.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

WOW! What an awesome space that will be! re taking reservations yet?? You had me with a/c??!! HUGS!

jennifer768 said...

What a great space ! Can't wait to see your progress .You are going to have so much fun decorating it .Hugs,Jen

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Its gonna be so warm and in viting Tammy, you all may not want to leave it when its completed!! I am sure you will have it done for labor Day, with all of yours and hubbys ambition and hardwork!:0) I can't wait for the next update!! Have a wonderfully blessed week too my friend!!~hugs~

Carolyn said...

Looks great!
~Carolyn

At Home With Amy said...

Its just fabulous Tammy. What a great space you are going to have when it's all finished. Jason is pretty darn handy to have around isn't he! Can't wait to see the place all finished. Keep posting your progress.
Hugs,
AMY

Debbie said...

It looks wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished loft!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

What an awesome space, Tammy! Can't wait to see it all finished! Jason is certainly handy...wish my man was. LOL! Have a wonderful week!

Elle Bee said...

Wow, that is going to be so great! Stunning last picture too.

LynnMarie said...

It looks stunning! Can't wait fo it to be done - good luck with haveing it ready for Labor Day.

Never So Simple said...

Tammy,

I absolutely love it! What a great little place to visit. As I follwed your blog I have enjoyed all of your re-do's of your home and love what Jason and you have done. You are so blessed to have your Dad right next door to help.

I did get your email. I will respond soon. Thanks Tammy for being such a great friend even if you are far away!

Donna

Dawn said...

Tammy, what a great space that is going to be. It's looking great, the outside is awesome looking. can't wait to see the final tour!!

Tanya said...

Hey Miss Tammy,
Love it love it love it! Can I come stay? That is going to be fabulous! What a wonderful addition for your family! I can see Colt and his new wife and babies staying there! HA! Don't I dream? My girls are always telling me my mind really ticks!
You and Jason are amazing home remodelers! I can tell you do "perfection" work.
Please keep up the Updates!
How are your sunny days going?
Please tell me about having a pool....we are talking about it! Above ground/inground I don't care...just soothing water!
Hugs and blessings to you,
Tanya

Shirley Pumpkin said...

Wow that is one big space, and it looks like a lot of work.

I seen on another blog that you left a comment on that you were having problems signing into blogger-google to leave comments, all you have to do it un-check the box that says "keep me signed in". It will work after that.

Hugs
Shirley
www.lookatmycutestuff.blogspot.com

Simple Home said...

What a view you have Tammy! The Cedar Loft is coming along wonderfully. My neighbor has that vinyl flooring in her house, and it really looks nice. I was amazed at how "wood-like" it looks :)
Blessings,
Marcia

Farming On Faith said...

Oh I love it!
I am catching up with your beautiful family.
Your boy is getting so big and so handsome.

You are so very blessed~
Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Tammy, maybe you can use some of the stitcheries you have for some of the decorating. I don't remember all you have, but maybe you can use some of them.

Love, Betty

Farmchick said...

I love it......thanks for sharing. You have given me some ideas. :) Wishing you and your family a wonderful 4th of July. :) Come say hi. :)

Anonymous said...

chanel purses Fluff Flip Flops 5304 sale,chanel bags Fluff Flip Flops 5304 outlet,Nowadays, [URL=http://www.lightchanel.com/#chanel wallet bag ]chanel handbags[/URL] sv1q99 online have become more and more popular all over the Ireland. Thus, [URL=http://www.otherchanel.com/#replica chanel 2.55 bag ]chanel outlet[/URL] ro8s15 Ireland has become popular chanel purses many people sought after. If you are going to buy a pair of chanel outlet boot for yourself, don

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol next day buy tramadol hydrochloride 50mg - buy ultram cod