Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Special Windmill

There is just something about windmills that I love. I've always loved them ever since I can remember. I love the big towering ones in the fields on farms and even the smaller ones backyard style. I guess they just say country to me.....and well....I think you know by now how I feel about country!

I don't have a windmill myself, but my daddy does. And my daddy lives next door. He's had his windmill for quite awhile. It's not one of the big towering ones, but it's a fairly good sized one. I remember when he first purchased it. It was silver with barn red trim. I loved it then, and I love it now!



Daddy has always put his windmill in a spot where both of us can see if from our windows. There's rarely a day that goes by that I don't stop by the window and look out to see which way the wind blows. Which way the wind is blowing is not all that important to me as much as it is just being able to "know it" from one glance. I love that! Now there are times, when it's nice to know when a cold north wind is blowing in or a southern wind storm is blowing in, but for the most part, I just enjoy watching it tirelessly and carelessly turn in the breeze. Maybe it makes me feel like I'm on a farm or living in Little House on the Prairie....I don't know...I just love that feeling!



My daddy's windmill is not just any windmill though....it's special. As the grandkids have been born, he's added their names to it. For years, it said Trey and Colt. Later he added Kemper and Joy to the the oldest boys' names. Then Laci came along at the tail end of the grandkids, bringing the grandtotal to five. So here's what the windmill looks like now:



And the very last paint job that the well loved windmill received was John Deere colors! Daddy painted it all and brought it over for me to paint the names on for him. I was glad to do it!



Daddy's windmill is a peaceful,comforting, and simple pleasure that brings me much happiness. Does anyone else out there share my love for windmills? :)

24 comments:

Carmen S. said...

I like windmills, and what a neat idea to put the names on there! The green and yellow really make it stand out :)

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

Tammy, there are alot of windmills up here on the lake and most are painted John Deer colors. Isnt that something? My dad has one about the same size as your dads, also painted green and yellow:)

Painting the names of the grandkids on is such a special idea!!!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love windmills, but sadly not many around this area, not even on farms...hummm I wonder why never really thought of it before. I also love windmills
I really love to see them in old paintings or western, plains painting.

CozyGirl said...

How neat~ I love windmills!How nice to be able to look out your window and see it.Those are great pictures.:-)Have a wonderful day Tammy!
Janae

Parsley said...

I see our country's flag off to the left in the photo. Love the idea of the country windmill and our flag. Classic.

Debbie said...

I love how your dad put the kids names on the windmill. I always loved the old farms that had them. Someday we hope to have one of our own.

Hope your having a great Wednesday!

Debbie

Never So Simple said...

Oh I love them to bet that doesn't surprise you. I also love old weathervanes on top of barns. I agree they just feel country and they are fun to watch. I love the extra special touch your Daddy added to his.

Donna

Dawn said...

Tammy, I love windmills too! I have an old one I bought at a tag sale and Mike has weilded the blades back on several times because of the wind here. I love to see it outside of my kitchen window. I'd love to have a huge old rusty one on my mantle. I saw one in a photo one time and it was so cool looking! Have a great Wednesday!

Michele said...

Good morning Tammy ~ that is so cool! I love windmills too...anything country in my book is the best! We have one of those new fangled windmills not far from our house...forgot what they're called, but they're for electricity I think. Those just don't fit in as far as I'm concerned!!!

Hugz,
Michele

Paula said...

That's wonderful, Tammy!
I love windmills too... in fact I love anything that moves with the wind- chimes, whirli-gigs, windmills... I love them all!

Sharon said...

I agree that the windmills make it seem country. I love them also but don't have one yet.
We can see our neighbors setting out in his field.
The names on it just makes it even more special.
Have a great day.

basketsnprims said...

I love windmills, Tammy & how cool to have the names on it. Have a great week.
Pam

Nancy M. said...

I love windmills too! I like the way it has his grandchildren's names on it. That's pretty neat!

Wendi said...

I saw lots of windmills on our vacation drive from Indiana to Iowa. There is something about them that is so homey. It is very special to have all of the grandkid names painted on.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love that windmill and what a great way to proudly display the names of his grandchildren.

Thanks for stopping by and I had never thought of Silas before. I actually really like it!

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
Love your Daddy windmill...I don't have one. I love to watch it...It's just sooo peaceful ...Thanks for stopping by...sweet comments...Smiles & Hugs Katherinllen

Karen said...

I love to see windmills, also. My grandma has one in her yard.
Have a great day, Tammy!!
Karen

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How neat, Tammy... I love windmills also--but have never been around one, or had one 'near' where I was.

Your Daddy's windmill is very special--because it is so personal.

I still think about your Daddy bringing in the mail to your everyday--just to say HI. That is just super!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

green gables girl said...

That would be really neat to always look out your window in see a windmill! We don't have hardly any around here, except when we go more out in the country side of Oregon.
Tell Joy I said Hi!

Have a nice day!
Love, Lyssie

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Tammy,I love your Daddy's windmill and think it's very sweet of him to add the names of his grandchildren. Thank you so much for your visits and sweet comments. They mean a lot.....

Blessings,Shelley

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

My grandparents had a huge windmill that was actually hooked up and pumped water to the well. That was the coldest and sweetest water ever.
We have 2 small ones in our landscape. I love to watch it from our family room window.....
Now-in western Iowa-they are putting up the windmills that generate electricity and they make the windmills at Sieman's about 45 miles from us.
Around here most are painted black and gold-Hawkeye colors; a few red and black-Cyclone colors and some are John Deere.
Love the thoughtful way your Dad had to brag up his grandkids!!!!

Mandy said...

There really is something relaxing about watching a windmill turn in the breeze. I'm glad you get to enjoy your dad's windmill from your window!

Mandy

ohiofarmgirl said...

Tammy, Love the windmill. My parents had one when I grew up and I miss not having one at our home too.
As far as the swinging doors...truly I have not be able to get the sticky tape residue off of the wood. But I have not tried to stain over it either. Maybe it won't even show...please don't worry abou them. I will try to work on them next week. Thanks for asking. Blessings, Dianntha

Lois Christensen said...

How wonderful is that! I love the names painted on the windmill! And I also love a windmill! I would love a much smaller version to place somewhere on our property! Great pictures!