Thursday, April 9, 2009

Another Little Change in the Kitchen

Thank you so much for all the comments on the spice rack. I really love it and I'm always so happy with the creations Jason makes for our home! He really loves carpentry and would love to make a living at it, but these days that's hard to do. But we are really blessed that he can create pieces for our home, because I'm sure our budget wouldn't allow for them otherwise! I love the whole process....dreaming them up together, picking out the colors and supplies needed, Jason building it, next we paint and distress together, and then I get to decorate with it and make gatherings. I don't know whether he gets more satisfaction at finishing a piece and bringing it in or seeing it after it's decorated. He loves the decor too and enjoys seeing the gatherings come together. As much as I would enjoy prim decorating myself, I love it even more that he's proud of the end product. So I guess that makes us proud of each other, right? Anyway, I am thankful Jason is so willing and supportive of my wishes and love of prim decorating. However, I have learned that there's satisfaction for me in compromise (on my part) because this is the guy that never used to like anything distressed (and look how far he's come..lol!) Now there are certain pieces that he just thinks don't need painting (as in my kitchen cabinets) and just loves wood, and I want our home to reflect him too, so together we compromise. And I personally wouldn't want it any other way.

The thing I want to show you today isn't something Jason made, but he did give it a major makeover. I've envisioned this piece very prim although it really wasn't before. Here's what's in my kitchen now, but it didn't look like this before!



Here's what it looked like before. This is a picture from Christmas.



We were really trying to decide what to do with the heart cutout. I thought of a rusty star of some sort but nothing seemed to fit. Jason thought about making one out of wood somehow. I suggested putting a piece of wood over it in a decorative way and Jason thought of a "fake drawer". That was it! I knew when he said it....that was what it needed! So thus the drawer was added to cover the heart!



While talking to Janae one evening by email, she passed along a color that I might like. It's called Barnwood by Valspar. We used it on this table and then distressed it with the antique glaze. Thank you Janae, for the color suggestion because it's great in our kitchen! Jason brought it in and turned it over to me to decorate!

One of the things I love about this table and it's decor is that most of the decorating was done through makeovers from Goodwill finds. Let me tell you a little about them. You'll recognize some from past posts probably.



Here on the table is the first cutting board I found and distressed and added some homespun and star around the handle. Sitting on it is the salad bowl I showed you last week that I made over. The only thing bought new here were the dried pineapples and prim pears inside the bowl. The candle holder was a plain wooden one made over black. The candle was a gift. The crock was the find at the "junk" store on our weekend away during Spring break. I raided my kitchen utensils to makeover most of the wooden spoons.





On the bottom shelf, is the wooden box I found at Goodwill and intended to save for my bathroom redo. Who knows, it may end up there one day, but for now, it worked perfectly here. Tucked inside it is another small salad bowl makeover in black, a tiny cutting board that used to have apples painted on it (another GW find), wooden spoon, pantry cakes and sweet annie.



I've done a little more tweaking here and there in the kitchen. It's a slow process for me. But, I'll share more in the very near future.

**********************************************************************************

On another note, my mom finally took her cupboard home! I have to say I'm really missing it, but it looks wonderful at her house! I'll try to get some pictures and share it with you in its new home! It looks great with all her blue!

**********************************************************************************

Again, I'm behind on my blog reading. Next week is our state mandated homeschool testing and since I'm the site coordinator, there's preparation on my part. So needless to say, it's been a busy week between that and our normal schooling and activities.

As always, I love all your comments and I enjoy seeing what all you been doing as well! The past few days, I've been here....reading more than commenting, but still here! Thanks for stopping by!

Have a great day! :)

33 comments:

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Tammy, that looks awesome! And boy, great minds think alike! I have a jelly cupboard with 4 heart cut-outs in the door with screen behind them. I was just telling my hubby that I want to put a fake drawer front on each one to cover them up. I'm just not a big fan of hearts and they make the piece look outdated. So hopefully we will do that soon. It's either that, or jigsaw out a long rectangle out of the door to cut them all out. And then replace with a larger piece of screen. The fake drawer fronts are much easier though! LOL!
I love all of your makeovers! One thing about collecting and feathering our nests, the bargains and things we put our own stamp on are what makes our homes special.
Have a wonderful day!

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

Wow Tammy, it looks great!!

Lisa said...

Tammy...will you just come and decorate my home for me...lol! I absolutel love love love what you do and what you have done. My husband can make stuff...but I would have to wait a long while for it, if you know what I mean. Too many irons in the fire. Oh what a great team you and your husband are. Perfect! Thanks for sharing and when you feel the need to decorate and just want a different place to do it at just shoot me a line and we will work out the details (still LOL) - Lisa

Shelley said...

Your husband is so talented and you have such a creative eye - you make a great team! Love that table and the color is perfect!

Zaroga said...

Tammy, I simply love it. You and Jason are both so creative.

Leslie said...

Wow ! I just love the little table and all of the things you have on it.
I am going to miss the blue shelf, too. LOL.
Have a Blessed Easter !
Hugs~~~Leslie

Never So Simple said...

What a transformation. I would have never known that was a fake drawer. I absolutely love iy. Jason and you did a wonderful job. I love the color. I like black but I'm glad to see some new colors.

I'm glad your just busy. I hope everything goes well with your testing.

Once again everything looks great.

Donna

Mandy said...

I remember that little table from your Christmas pictures!

I have two tables with heart cut-outs that I tried to cover but never really liked the way I did it. I LOVE the fake drawer idea. I guess those hearts were popular in the early 90's when we bought the tables!

You did a great job with you gathering - just love it all!

Blessings,
Mandy

CozyGirl said...

You know I love it Tammy! I just love that Barnwood color and I like how most of the things you decorated with were thrifty finds!The fake drawer was a wonderful idea! I didn't even realize there was a heart there before.The pantry cakes look great in your box and you're right, the box looks perfect in that spot. You get to enjoy it more in your kitchen than you would in your bathroom anyway. Hope you are having a good week. Good luck with the testing ~ doesn't sound fun. Have a great day!
Janae:-)

ohiofarmgirl said...

it does look so wonderful...how creative to cover the heart. I love the color too. Dianntha

Jo-Anne said...

Your table looks great! I love the idea of the "fake" drawer...in fact, I have had Craig make me a few over the years! :)
I really love all your GW makeovers! Your house looks so cozy!
Have a great day--
oxox,
Jo-Anne

Sharon said...

I love the new look for your table.
I it so nice to have a hubby that can make things.
We are like you, if he could not make it I would not have it.
My new cabinet is being finished today and I sure do miss it not it the kitchen.
Good luck with your testing and I hope that you and yours have a blessed Easter.

At Home With Amy said...

Wow Tammy what a difference you made redoing your table. I love it. That fake drawer idea was just perfect. I may have to use that little trick in a few places myself. It is just wonderful that Jason can be so crafty in the wood shop. You are a very lucky woman.
Have a Blessed Easter,
AMY

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

you both work well together..and love the remakes...and the decor...have a wonderful Easter! :)

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I have a bench with those same hearts. I have had mine since the 90's and hate to part with it. And I was just trying to figure out how to cover those darn hearts up the other day. Drawers! Of coarse. We'll see what I can do...You and your hubby make a great team!

Amber said...

Hello Ms. Tammy,
Hope you have a good EASTER!
Amber

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Hi Tammy your new addition looks great!!! We are truely Blessed with hubbys that love us and spoil us with their talents!!:0) I love the spice rack in your pantry he did an awesome job on it!!! Have a wonderful day my friend!!~hugs~Wendy

Michele said...

Oh Tammy ~ I absolutely love that table! You are very lucky indeed that you have a hubby as talented as he is!

I love visiting you and seeing what else you've done to your home! Which, by the way, I'm in love with just from the pictures!

Hugz,
Michele

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Love it, Tammy!
You are both so talented!
Love the color and the fake drawer, how clever....you two are both, talented and clever!!! what a team!:)

Have a Beautiful weekend and a very Happy and Blessed Easter.

Hugs-Kath

Sandy said...

Hi Tammy,

I LOVE the makeover of your little table. It looks absolutely gorgeous! You and your husband work great together as a team :) And what a great idea covering up the heart and making it look like a drawer. I love the idea. And of course everything displayed on it looks so prim.

Have yourself a wonderful Easter weekend!

Granny said...

I love the change in the little table with the fake drawer front. I passed up a shelf at Goodwill because it had a heart cutout on it. Now I wish I'd have gotten it. That is an idea I'm certainly going to borrow in the future. Everything you've displayed looks so nice. Don't you love finding something for almost nothing and recreating it?

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I named my son
Jason he is 36 years old.
And as an MBA.
I enjoy looking at your
pictures. We hubby and I
live only 30 mins north of
Amish Country here!
Thanks!
Susan Wooster OH

The Chic Housewife said...

Tammy~ That turned out really cute! I pass those things up all the time because they look to country with the heart, however, I won't be passing them up anymore..lol Thanks for sharing! When I find something close to yours I will let you know =)
xoxo
Dixie
http://thechichousewife.com

Paula said...

That's a wonderful makeover, Tammy! I LOVE the color!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

We do a lot of that compromising around here too. And my DH is the same way about the cabinets and the woodwork. I'd love them painted but not at the expense of his feelings.
The fake drawer is the perfect timeless fix! A star might be outdated in 5 years for all we know - just like hearts now are. It is so cool you enjoy something you made together all over again. It's doubly sweet!

Have a happy and blessed Easter! hugs, Linda

Simple Home said...

Tammy,
Great photos. You come up with the best ideas. Thanks for sharing and motivating the rest of us.
Blessings,
Marcia

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What great work...thanks for the tip on how to cover the heart cutout:) Your husband did a great job:) You did too with the wonderful bargains that you put on it:) Have a great Easter!
Rondell

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy! I love your table and the color is so very awesome! You and Jason do such great work on projects together! You both are so creative!

I bet your Mom is really loving her blue shelf that Jason made for her! It sure was pretty! I'd love to have one just like it someday! :)

You and your family have a very Blessed Easter Tammy!

Love & Blessings,
~Lynn/OKC

Susie Q said...

The table looks amazing! I love the color and the treatment!
Your makeovers are so, so good!
You and your husband are so gifted.

May I borrow you two for a week!

Love,
Sue

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

You and Jason are quite the team. Perhaps, someday, when the economy gets better and Joy is through school, you can do your crafting full time--together.
I love your serving cart. I agree that the color is perfect. And I loved that square box/bowl since the first time you posted it. I'm looking for one myself. You always have the best ideas!

Rosemary said...

I love it Tammy!
And what a great idea that little "fake drawer" was!

I have a couple of shelves around here that I was thinking of redo-ing and that color that you did your little table in is just what I was looking for!

Thanks for sharing as always,
rosemary

Happily Ever After said...

Hey Tammy, love the cupboard table. That color is awesome. I've never seen a color that is more true than the barnwood color. I'm definitely going to get my hubby some of that..lol. No seriously,I think your life and mine are very similar with our hubby's. We have always worked together with items. I think of the ideas, he builds and then we work together to get things just right. Before his surgery we visited a store that has antiques, new items and also has commission booths. We started talking to the lady that owns the store. She was looking for someone to make things for her and to split the profit. Well it must have been meant to be because my hubby was looking for the same thing to keep him busy since hasn't been able to work for the past few years. By the way, we went to the doctor this week and they think his back is healing wonderfully. Thank you for prayers. Anyway, he built a few things for the store prior to the surgery and everything has already sold! He made some type of yard fence with tobacco sticks. One lady bought all of them. Then he made a "ladder" to be used to hang dishtowels or whatever on....those are really cute. I had him make me one a few years ago and I love mine.

I love all your decor on the table it all looks great.

Sorry that I wrote a novel. You and J remind me of us so much that we have that "carpentry" connection..lol.

Blessings and May God give you and your family a wonderful Easter.

Gigi

Polly said...

I love this little table!! It reminds me of one my mother gave to my daughter. She has redone it and it doesn't even look like the same one. Your blog is very pretty, and so creative.