Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pinned it, Made it! Monday ~ Week 40 ~

Hi there!  I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!  I had a great one and it's just a beautiful day for me to count my blessings!  :)

It's time again for Pinned it, Made it! Monday. 


This week I'm sharing a recipe that I made about a week ago that just might be my favorite dinner recipe......it's for sure in my top five!  This recipe just really hit it off with my taste buds!  Now I did make adjustments, but I'll tell you about that too.  I liked this so much that I'm making it again this week!  And even Luke just asked me when we were going to have it again!

Okay....so it's called Chili Cornbread Bake.  Here's the original pin:

Source:  Valerie's Kitchen

If you want to make the original recipe, exactly the way it was written, click here.   This recipe calls for using turkey and has its own complete recipe for the chili part.  However, I read on the comments section on that recipe page somewhere that someone else used their own chili recipe and then just followed the cornbread bake/cheese part of the above recipe.  Since I have found THE recipe for chili that our family absolutely loves, I wanted to use it for the chili part of this recipe.  I posted about that recipe here (if you just want to try the chili) on another Pinned it Made it Monday.....it's even called Award Winning Chili.

So this is exactly how I made this recipe....first of all make the Award Winning Chili:

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I used 2 (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 (8 oz) jar salsa  (I actually use just a tad more than this....probably about 12 oz).
4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix (I used one package of McCormick chili seasoning).
1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans

Directions

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender.  Drain grease, if desired.

Add the ground pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix, and kidney beans.  Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.


Now it's time for the Cornbread Bake part.......


Ingredients:

2 (8.5 oz) boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
Milk and Eggs (see the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix box for amounts to mix)
2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese blend

Optional:  Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a deep 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray.  Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions and pour batter into prepared baking dish.  Remove chili mixture from heat and spoon over the batter.  Bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes.  Edges of cornbread should be nicely browned and center should appear to be set.  Carefully remove dish from oven and sprinkle with cheese.  Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes more, until cheese is melted.

**Serve with tortilla chips and top with sour cream if desired.**


And here's mine:






 

If you make the recipe with the award winning chili recipe above, you won't need to use all of the chili on top of the cornbread mix part.  This makes a bigger chili recipe than the one on the original recipe.  I used only about half of my chili.  There needs to be room to allow for it to rise.  So that leaves the other half of the delicious chili for another night!  This particular recipe actually fed us for three nights.....two nights on the chili cornbread bake and one night on the chili.  That's another reason I loved it!  :)

Also I didn't have tortilla chips to dip into it nor did I have sour cream on hand.  We just ate it as is.  However, when I make it this week, I will be pulling out the chips and sour cream to try it out with those this time as well.

This recipe gets about a 9 on a scale of 1-10 at our house!  Yummy!!!!

******************************

Now it's your turn!  You know the guidelines by now, so I'm not even putting them on here today.  Just link up below and try to visit some of the other participants as well!  We all love visits and comments!  I hope we have more participants than last time.....we had only one last week!  :(

Thank you for stopping by and a special thank you for joining the Pinned it Made it Monday linky party.  :)

 Have a great week! 
 
♥ Tammy ♥ 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Tammy.
It looks so yummy!
Hugs
Tam

Jill said...

Wow! That looks fantastic. I'm sure I can smell it. Mmmmm!

Holly said...

Sounds delicious! Will be trying that soon.

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Hey Tammy! that recipe looks good! Will have to try it when I'm in a 'chili' mood again ;-)

Allison said...

Hi Tammy-- the Chili Cornbread Bake sounds good! I think my girls would like it.