Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Pioneer Days

The pioneer days are absolutely my favorite time period in history! I’ve always felt that way, even since my childhood. It was evident by the names I chose for my dolls (old fashioned ones), the things I pretended (traveling in a covered wagon and living on a prairie), stories I wrote (wrote a book called “Country Girl”), books I read (books from the pioneer era), and the shows I loved to watch (greatly anticipated every episode of Little House on the Prairie).

As much as I love the pioneer days, I am still very grateful for many of our modern conveniences. I really don’t care for outhouses. And yes, I have had my experiences with those at my Aunt Jo and Uncle Wayne's cabin. :) I also like my washing machine. They washed them by hand, but then again, they didn’t have the (unnecessary) excess of clothing we have these days.

I think what appeals to me about this time period is the simple way of life. I especially like the way life was centered around the family in every way. I really like their morals much more than these days' morals. I even like their dresses, bonnets, and aprons as well as the guys’ overalls and suspenders. And of course, the pioneer homes (especially log ones) appeal to me, as well as their simple décor.

And speaking of simple décor, I thought I’d share a little with you from a homeschool field trip we took a couple of weeks ago. It was a pioneer homestead complete with homes, school, church, blacksmith, and more. The folks were dressed in attire from the pioneer days sharing with us and making things such as sorghum, soap, brooms, quilts, kettle popcorn, etc. I’d thought I’d share a little of the pioneer days for all of you out there that share this love of the pioneer days with me! :)





















And you know I have to share one of my kiddos......  :)  And I loved this one.  They were listening to the men playing the guitars and singing on the front porch of one of the cabins.



And back in April while in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, we also visited another little walk through pioneer village. Here’s more from that day:











































And what pioneer loving person doesn’t love episodes of Little House on the Prairie? We most certainly have been enjoying them! My mom owns a few of the seasons on DVD (and has loaned them to us), so our family has been watching an episode or two every evening, beginning with Season 1.  Just about every episode teaches a great moral lesson and I get to take in all that (prim) prairie décor in the Ingalls’ cabin! And I love their prairie cabin! I actually feel like I have my own little prairie cabin now with The Cedar Loft.  :)



I know not everyone shares this love of pioneer days as a favorite time period in history. I have a friend that just loves everything about the medieval times. So what about you? What’s your favorite time period in history?

11 comments:

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

Mama,

Great post! I agree with you wholeheartedly--the pioneer days are my absolute FAVORITE time period. There are bits and pieces of other time eras that attract me...but really I stay true to the pioneer days! :)

I love you! 8!

I love you!
Love,
Joy :D

Lois Christensen said...

I love all the pictures. I would love to go visit this place! I love the blue and white dishes they're using for the table setting. I actually have the same set! Looks like you had a nice trip!

Simply Shelley said...

It is one of my favorites as well...love all the pictures you shared...how fun it must of been visiting those places....like walking back through time I bet....thanks you for sharing your adventure with us....blessings

LynnMarie said...

I have always been torn between the old days and the new. I love the look of the big fireplace with the chairs all lined up around it but I hate the thought of lugging the wood and cleaning out the stove. I like our pellet stove. I love the look of all those quilts but hand washing them! NEVER! I want to marry all those looks with central heat, indoor pluming, and electricity. What great pictures.

Kim said...

I am with you Tammy on the pioneer period, love it.
I miss taking my kids on fieldtrips, we also homeschooled and that was our favorite times.
Thanks for sharing,
Kim in OK

Penny said...

Love all your pics!! I was always a big fan of Little House on the Prairie, but like you, now find myself absolutely loving their cabin, and paying close attention to the scenery when I watch the reruns! Last year I bought some Christmas episodes -- so wonderful.

I love all things American antique.... pioneer days are a favorite time period.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I am plain and simple, in love with the pioneer days. I would miss my modern conveniences but I could do it. Right now, with just the two of us and as simply as we live, we could live in a one room cabin. It would need to be about 40 square foot and have plumbing ( hook-up for my washer-dryer ), but I wouldn't mind having everything in one room. Just one of the good things about the golden years is not needing things to be just so anymore. LOL
Looks like the kids enjoyed it, too.
Warm autumn blessings,
★Linda★

Elle Bee said...

All those pictures are so amazing!! I love all the details. The picture of Joy and Luke is too cute!

Football and Fried Rice said...

I LOVE the pioneer days! Your field trip looks like so much fun. We have a similar place called The Living History Farms - i really should take Cole this year.

Annie said...

Very cool!!! I love history and we are studying the pioneer days right now in our home school!!! Just read a tall tale about Jonny Appleseed:) Great pics!

Sharon said...

Great post and pictures. I also think that would be my fav also.
I do like the modern things of today to a point. I remember my in-laws had the little house out back and having to pump water when I first met my hubs.I was really not used to that being a city girl all my life.
Thanks
Hugs