I’m pretty sure that the “lazy days of summer” must have come from the viewpoint of a child. Don’t you think? Go back to your childhood and remember how we spent our summers………the beautiful anticipated summer after school days. Our summers looked a little different than summers for most kids these days. And I’m sure they seemed much longer for us back then!
Let’s go back a little bit…….Do you remember?
- Playing all day outside until your mama called you in for lunch and then supper?
- Riding your bike all over the neighborhood and nobody really worrying about it?
- Eating homemade popsicles made from those Tupperware popsicle makers from your mama’s kitchen (or from popsicle sticks and an ice tray if you didn’t have the Tupperware thingies)?
- Going barefoot outside while you played (we had tough feet but dirty feet at the end of the day)?
- Riding your friend on the handlebars of your bike?
- Backyard Bible clubs?
- Gathering up the kids in the neighborhood for a game of baseball, dodgeball, volleyball, or badminton?
- Making mud pies?
- Playing in the water puddles in your swimsuit right after a fresh rain?
- Catching “lightning bugs” in a jar at dusk?
- Drinking koolaid all day?
- Family reunions?
- Lying out in the sun with baby oil (and usually getting baked)?
- Camping in a tent? (Sorry…can’t say I miss that one).
- Washing your car as a teenager in your swimsuit?
- Playing in the sprinkler or spraying each other with the water hose?
- Watermelons after supper? (We spread out newspaper across the table)
- Tire swings over the lake?
- Floating on an intertube in the lake?
- Using our imagination as we played outside all day? ( I remember playing all sorts of things, but particularly we played Land of the Lost one entire summer).
- Drinking Nehi grape in a can. But first we had to shake it up so it would spew when we opened the can. (I guess we had to have wasted half our drinks, but it was worth it).
- Tube tops and shorts?
- Visiting cousins and cousins visiting us?
Can you identify with any of these? Did I leave out any?
What do you remember about summers past?