Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sleddin'...."Southern Style"

I should have known that things wouldn't go exactly as planned this weekend. The plan was to get up this morning and get started on Joy's bedroom makeover, right after breakfast.

Instead after our chocolate gravy and toast, we went to (plan B)...out to play! Yesterday and last night, we received freezing rain, sleet, ice, and snow. The weather just couldn't make up its mind, so we got it all and it just sort of packed together and mostly we just have packed down icy roads around us with a little dusting of snow over it.

We say every year that we are going to get a sled for that "one time a year" that we do get snow, but we procrastinate and so today, we still hadn't bought our new sled. Instead of worrying about what we didn't have....we just started looking around here, in the storage shed and garage....and Pop's garage. We came up with a political campaign sign that made a great sled and we did find a little round lid type sled that we must have picked up somewhere one year. But the real find was my daddy's little creative sled....his concrete mixer! He and Jason got it all fixed up and attached to the 4-wheeler and....voila....instead sled...."Southern Style".

At first, Joy tried sledding down the hill on the sign.











Then on the little round sled.





That was fun enough.!

But, we discovered the real fun was in being pulled in the concrete mixer sled behind the 4-wheeler. Because of the ice, it was quite the ride!











Even I got in on the fun (although you won't see any pictures of me on it...I had the camera and was having to hang on dearly). Jason pulled Joy and me all through the fields behind our house and down the back gravel roads! We did have a tumble and the concrete mixer landed on top of me with me landing on top of Joy. I don't think Joy knew whether to laugh or cry until I started laughing! Now, I'm starting to get a little stiff and sore.....I may not be able to walk tomorrow and the day after, but it was fun today!

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day and stay warm! :)

Now time to get to prepping a bedroom to paint......

24 comments:

~Judy~ said...

Too funny! We've got at least 5-6" now and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow!! We're so tired of shoveling!!

Along My Country Road said...

Looks like everyone had fun! I have not been brave enough to go out there yet ~ it is sooooo cold!
~Betty

Lynn said...

Tammy, sounds like you all had a real fun time out playing in the snow! Sorry to read about the tumble you and Joy had though. I hope that you both won't be real sore from having it, that's for sure! That Joy, she's a little sweetheart and bless her little heart for not crying..

I remember years back when the kids and I went sled riding down one hill out in the country back in Pa. Oh my goodness, we couldn't climb up the hill fast enough so that we could ride back down again!! Soo much fun we had that day!!

It definately reminds me of back home when I look out our front and back windows here.. We just aren't used to having so much snow.. It is pretty to look at, and boy do our two puppy dogs absolutely love playing in it!!

Have a continued Great weekend!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Parsley said...

I don't know WHY I haven't remembered to pull out our Kawasaki Mule and pull our daughter around. Hopefully I won't have a doctor's post tomorrow :)

arkie said...

Arkansas Ingenuity at its' best! Wish I could send you some snow. We have about 8 inches with a layer of ice.

I loved those family fun days. Wish my kids weren't all grown up.

Never So Simple said...

Hey Tammy,

Looks like Joy had a great time. I believe we are at 12 1/2 inches so far. I hope to take some pictures tomorrow. It is bitter cold here in VA.

The rooms will still be there tomorrow. :)

Donna

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I am so glad you all had a great snow day.:) and I hope you can move tomorrow..:)

Dan said...

Tammy~ Looks like you had a lot of fun! We got about 5 inches of snow here. No sledding for me though, don't want to break my neck...lol! Try to stay warm! ~Dan~

Mandy said...

What fun! We did the exact same thing today. We got out the 4-wheelers and the "makeshift sleds" and had a ball. I'll post about it soon.

Oh, I LOVE Joy's new comfroter set and the bedding you picked out for Luke. Those are going to be some great new rooms!

Mandie said...

Sounds like y'all had a great time. We did the same thing only behind a gokart and we went around the block. Got to love that red neck snow, tehe.

Marie said...

Looks like you had a great time. We had around 6 inches of snow last night and today with sleet on top. It is beautiful but it is soooooooooo COLD here.

Laura said...

WOW! It sounds you all had fun!!
Have a great Sunday!
Laura

Debbie said...

I think plan 2 was definitely the best plan! :) Looks like you all had a good time. I miss those days when my boys were little and we played in the snow.

We got 8 inches of the fun here and I am just enjoying watching the dog play in it. lol

Hope your not too sore today! Maybe painting Joy's room will help keep some of that away.

Take Care,
Debbie

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Looks like fun!!! We also used to use trash bags as sleds.

Mary

Jackie said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. We do the same thing about buying sleds and of course this year we've had a lot of snow...we did buy a sled this time LOL!

Have a great day.

Jackie

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Looks like fine. Lots of that going on here too. When you get Luke he will love doing that. I am sure the look on his face will be priceless.

Hope you can walk to tomorrow and hope no one got seriously injured.

Maxine

Madison said...

That looks like so much fun! Wish I had been there! I have never even seen snow! Glad you guys had fun!


Love, Madison

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

hahaha! What FUN! That's great southern ingenuity!

Stay safe & warm! And have a great week!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Now that's what we call "Yankee Ingenuity" around these parts, Tammy.

Wish I could send you all the rest of our snow!

Have fun getting down to work, my friend. I'm looking forward to the end results...

Sharon said...

That sure does look like fun. If you need more let me know, I still have drifts in my yard to get rid of.
My grandson thinks they are great for sledding down.
Hope you are okay from you tumble.
God bless

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Country fun to the max!!!
★Linda

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

That was fun fun fun! Ooooh!!! Mommy!!! I'm writing this comment..and I see you getting ready for Piano! :O Lol. Love ya. Thanks to you and dad for taking me down there. Sooo much fun. The tumble was crazy, wasn't it??

Love, Joy :D (( Oh and 8! ))

Simple Home said...

What a wonderful day. We take a day off if we have snow too. We just don't have enough snow days around here.
Have a great week.
Blessings,
Marcia

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Looks like y'all were having a ball...so great to see Joys smiling face..well her eyes anyhow...lol..they were smiling big time.
Molly