Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Field Trip of the Year

Last week, we had the first field trip of the school year with our homeschool group. We didn't have a big turn-out, but the few that went had a really good time. I think everyone tryinging to get into the swing of the school routine, plus the fact that we had to travel a little to get to this field trip, accounted for the fewer in number.




We toured the world's largest freshwater storm run off pumping plant, W.G. Huxtable Pumping Plant. Little did I know that we had anything like that anywhere near us! I like field trips that are a little off the beaten-path, and this one was. It seems like those turn out the best. Our tour guide was a mechanic at the plant (very down to earth), and he was fun. His name was Mr. Burt. You could tell he really loved what he did and that always makes for a great field trip. When you find someone that is passionate about what they do, the enthusiasm shows!



The girls especially liked our guide, Mr. Burt. When he handed out the pamphlets, he announced that the words were for the girls, and the pictures were for the boys! So of course, he made instant friends with the girls, which made up the majority of the children. The boys were good natured about it, though. We have a great group of kids.



We had a total of 9 children that attended. Here's a picture of the group. I wasn't the only one that was a little paranoid about being up so high above the dam area....it was kind of creepy....I guess especially if you don't do well with heights (like me).

And a little fact that we learned about the plant that is amazing.....did you know they can pump 6 million gallons per minute? Wow! I was impressed! This pumping plant prevents backwater flooding from the Mississippi River.



After the tour, we pulled out the quilts and lawn chairs and enjoyed our lunch time together. We had a few pesky mosquitoes, which I'm sure was because we were so close to the water.



A funny thing happened on the way in, which I wish I had a picture of to show you. I was riding with my friend, Lori. We had our girls, Molly Grace and Joy, plus another little girl, Kasey.



These girls were very full of life, to say the least. On the way in, there was a group of cows near a pond as we came down the gravel road. The girls started yelling at the cows out the window and the cows followed us! They started running toward the vehicle and actually crossed the road in front of all the other cars that were behind us! It was so funny to see those cows running along after us. Of course, all of the rest of our caravan had to wait for them to all get across the road. We warned the girls ahead of time to PLEASE NOT call the cows when it was time for lunch! lol!

It was a really fun and interesting field trip! Then again, who doesn't like a field trip, right?

14 comments:

Elle Bee said...

I'm with ya on the heights thing! I do NOT do well up high!

Love that the cows came a'runnin' after you! How funny!
Elle

Heather Lee said...

Sounds like a great day! I love the cow story and it sounds like these girls have a special gift LOL. Thank you for sharing your day!

Amber said...

We love our homeschool field trips. I'm in charge of organizing all the trips for our group. We went to the courthouse, 911 center, and old jail a few weeks ago. Boy, did I even learn alot. The 911 portion was extremely interesting!

Carmen S. said...

Looks like everyone had fun and a very interesting trip:) I have my hubby starting on a project this weekend that was inspired by your prim shutters...I am having him build me a skinny standing "shutter" room divider, I'm hoping it will turn out the way I'm envisioning it:) Enjoy your day!!!!

Paula said...

Ooooh I LOVE field trips, Miss Tammy!!! Looks like everybody had a great time... I'm with you on being up on something really high- I get dizzy!
That's too funny about the cows- sounds like they wanted to be with the girls instead of the herd! *LOL*

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Looks like you had a great time on your field trip. I would have loved to have seen the cattle chasing the car. They will follow if they think there is food involved.

I don't like heights either. I try to avoid them, but that doesn't always work.

Have a great day.

Maxine

Mandie said...

Sounds like a wonderful and educational field trip! It is great to find such treasure so close to home.

Mandy said...

I like fields trips that are not exactly the "norm" too! We always have the best time on those!

Rhonda said...

Sounds like you guys had a great field trip. It's so nice to spend time making memories as well as learning. Thanks for sharing the cow story. It gave me a laugh. Always good to laugh.

Rhonda

basketsnprims said...

Tammy ~
It's so wonderful that you do these field trips ~ information with a little fun mixed in.
hugs,
Pam

Never So Simple said...

Looks like a fun trip! Love the cow story!

Donna

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I always loved going with my kids on their field trips! Made for a fun & learning experience for everyone!

Everyone looks like they were enjoying their field trip! I'm another one who doesn't do very well when it comes to heights! I didn't know that the dams pumped out that much water in a minute!! That's a bunch!!

Thanks so much for sharing your fun field day!!

Love & Blessings,
~Lynn/OKC

My Colonial Home said...

What a great day out! The girls are adorable!!
Karen