Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Night in the ER

Last night didn't really go exactly as I planned. I planned on coming home after a long stage rehearsal of dance for Joy and climbing into my comfortable bed. I was thinking that I would try to get plenty of rest to be ready for the three show dance recital on Saturday that will have us there from 9:30 a.m. until at least 9:30 p.m., but things didn't turn out that way! Of course if anything happens, it's going to be when there's something else "big" planned, or a vacation, or event! That's the way it goes with us it seems! :)



When our son, Colt, came home from church and from playing music with his girlfriend and friends, he came home saying he was itching. I thought nothing of it because we all seem to be dealing with allergies these past few days in one way or another. He sat down, played a few songs for us and talked with us, ate his supper and went on to bed. I was just about to get into bed for the night....it was almost midnight, and I heard Colt talking to Jason telling him he thought he needed to go to the hospital. Jason turned on the light and Colt was covered in hives on the upper part of his body. His neck, chin, hairline, back and hips and wrists were big blobs of red hives.

He took shots for three years for general allergies as well as for insect stings such as wasps, yellowjackets, etc... A wasp sting landed him in the ER a few years ago which made us aware of all of these allergies. He had to get IVs at that time and his blood pressure had dropped significantly and he was having problems with breathing as well as hives, including facial ones that even distorted his face. He had stayed the night next door with my mom and dad, so my mom was the one to get him to the ER that time and she said he looked like a monster by the time she got him there, although he was already looking some better before we got there (and that was still pretty bad). So...we didn't wait around last night to get him to the ER! Jason stayed home with Joy since she was already asleep and I drove Colt on to the ER.

We waited....and waited...and waited after an initial visit with the nurse to determine that his breathing was okay, and it was. He was just itching...itching...itching. She gave him a cold towel to wrap around his neck. That's the only relief he had during the long wait. He had already had three benadryls and they weren't doing anything for him, or so it seemed. Finally, we were seen and he was given a steroid shot of decadron and an epinephrine shot. We had to wait twenty minutes to see how he was looking after that. He then had another epinephrine shot....another twenty minutes....and yet another epinephrine shot before we were allowed to leave. So finally at 4:00 a.m., we both crawled into our beds and Colt finally had some relief. And then the little booger got up and went to work today to open the restaurant (where he is a manager) at 9:00 a.m. He felt like he HAD to be there....stubborn!

We may never know what caused this reaction, and to me that is the most aggrevating and scariest part. At least he could avoid whatever caused it if we only knew! I just talked to him awhile ago and he was beginning to itch again and to break out a little again. I sent him off to the Dr. and there he sits in the waiting room now...his girlfriend, Amber, with him this time. I'm waiting on a call from him.

I would appreciate your prayers for Colt! Thank you! :)

36 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Oh my gosh Tammy, my son went to the ER last night too!!!! Mine had appendicitis and had it removed first thing this morning! Boy, I will sure keep your Colt in my thoughts and prayers, what a stinker to go back to work today, mine will be in hospital till at least tomorrow!

Parsley said...

Oh do I ever understand this! Allergies like that are really scary. Maybe he should carry an Epi-pen.

Prayers your way...

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Tammy,

Oh the long wait - Colt must have been miserable! When I was in nusrsing school I had several incidents like that and was actually at the hospital working the first time it happened. They gave me decadron as well. They never determined what it was. I hope that COlt is Ok today and this doesn't keep cropping up.

I will keep him in my prayers!

hugs, Linda

basketsnprims said...

Hi, Tammy ~
Allergies are just such weird things ~ you just never know what will irritate a person. Simon got shots for a few years, too, now just certain things bother him. I'll keep Colt in my prayers.
Pam

Tami said...

Tammy~

I'll keep Colt in my prayers!!

Hugs~T

Shelley said...

Poor Colt!! He will be in my prayers! I hope they find the source of his allergic reaction. Has he started thinking what different thing he might've been exposed to, touched or ate? (I have bad allergies and I totally sympathize with him.)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I hope he is doing okay by now Tammy, it just could be anything and that's what so fustrating. Said a prayer for him:)
Take care.
Rondell

Kimberly said...

Wow Tammy! I will pray for an answer! I know what it's like with this sort of thing... for my entire growing up years my mom suffered from what the doctors called an 'auto allergy'... something in her own system was causing hives. I remember her standing in the shower under straight hot water and crying because she was so itchy. Even her eyes and inside her throat would swell. As little girls, my sister and I both knew where her needle was in her purse in case she ever needed it. (she never did) My dad even sent her to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and they said that since her grandfather was the son of African slaves, there was something in particular passed on to her that is only found in African people and that it was the culprit. When I was in high school or so, it just went away. She's been fine ever since. A few years ago my sister had two or three episodes like mom's... scary stuff!

Take care!

Carrie said...

OMGosh Tammy!! I am so sorry to hear about Colt. I know how that feels. My daughter is also allergic to bess, wasps, etc. We have been to the hospital twice so far and the last the doc told us not to come to the ER next time, to immediately call 911. We also camp quit a bit so our PC Doc gave us a script for an Epi pen. Maybe something you can ask about...

Hugs!! Carrie♥

Zaroga said...

I'm so sorry... I pray that Colt will get relief soon and that y'all might know what caused the reaction.

Our son, David, was in a hospital one time and broke out while there. He was allergic to the fabric softener.

Sue said...

Oh my...I sure hope he is better but you do need to know what caused the allergic reaction. This same thing happened to my granddaughter this weekend after we left. My daughter and her family were with them at Global Wildlife and she started breaking out in hives...itching, etc. It was after she petted one of the animals. We are "assuming" she is allergic to animal hair. Don't know that but they say that it happened one other time when she was around large animals. Allergies are no fun!

Susan said...

We will certainly be in prayer for Colt, and all of you. I trust they can pin point the problem.
Susan

Mandy said...

Just said a prayer for Colt! I think Zach's allergies are getting worse each year. He has woken up several mornings lately with his eyes swollen, red and itchy.

I hope they figure out what is causing Colt's reaction.

Blessings,
Mandy

The Sweetest Things said...

Oh goodnes , I guess when it rains it pours. He had to of been miserable.I will say a prayer for him.

Lois Christensen said...

When my son was 6 months old he woke up around 9:00 at night covered in hives. Even his ears were swollen. I had no clue what it was and called the doctor. I was so clueless! I sat with him on the floor and just prayed and within an hour the swelling was going down and by morning he was fine. He never struggled with breathing. But still how awful for you and your son!!! I will keep you both in my prayers!! Hopefully he won't have any repeat hive episodes!!

At Home With Amy said...

I can only imagine how scared you were Tammy. I will be praying for Colt to recover completely from this episode. I will also pray that this doesn't happen again.
God Bless all of you.
Hugs,
AMY

Tammy said...

Tammy...wow...what an ordeal! I'm so glad he's doing better. But how exhausting for you both...especially with him being a manager and your having to take Joy to such a big dance rehearsal! Praying for you all!

(And yes...your eyes don't deceive you...it's really me- the other Tammy! I just wrote a post- I almost forgot how, too!) ;)

Hugs,
~Tammy (the missing one)

Never So Simple said...

Please tell Colt he is in my thoughts and prayers. Tammy that is so scary. I hope you can figure out what it is so he can avoid it next time. I hope you are all able to get some rest.

Donna

Dawn said...

Oh, Tammy, how scary! My daughter Taylor is allergic to bee stings too. I know how concerning it is and doesn't the night always bring out the scariest times when the little ones are sick! I'm glad he is doing better. Dawn

Jo-Anne said...

Oh, Tammy--An ER trip is NEVER fun, is it?? We will certainly be remembering your family in our prayers.
( I remember battling hives one summer. Every day I would wake up hive free, but then a few hours later, I would be covered. Our little family was going through some unavoidable stress at the time and the doctor finally determined that was the cause. I have never had them since.)Take care...
Jo-Anne

Terry said...

I do know how scary that is. My younger twin has gone through the same thing. They thought his was air-born poison oak, but they weren't 100% sure. He would start swelling, then the hives, and off to the emergency room we went.
One time I came home from work, and he met me at the door. He had to be at the high school in a few hours because he had the lead in the school play. We made it, but barely!
I hope Colt is feeling better by now, and I hope it never happens again Tammy!
Terry

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
My prayers and thought are with Cody...and your family. Maybe you will find out what cause him this allergy. Thank you sor stopping by ...sweet comments and prayers...I got my copmuter fixed...Acer had to replace the main part of the computer...Hope you have a wonderful weekends..Katherinllen

Blessed Beyond said...

oh my! I can relate to the allergy issues being so frustrating when you do not know. I am praying for Colt. How did the appointment go today? Poor guy!
hugs and Blessings,

Farming On Faith said...

My oldest daughter had the same thing one time. We took her in also but she never had it again. It was so strange. I will pray for Colt~
Carrie

Janene said...

Tammy~
What a horrible night you had! I will definately keep Colt in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope they find out what caused this reaction. I agree that that is the most frusturating part!
Keep us updated!
In the mean time, get some rest, because you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow!

CozyGirl said...

Poor Colt, that's awful! I hope you find out what's causing it.
Have a good day Tammy:-)
Janae

Karen said...

Poor Colt! I will keep him in my prayers.
~Karen

Sharon said...

Prayers for Colt.
That sounds so scary to me and I hope that everything will be okay and that you find out what is the cause of it.
God Bless.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Wow Tammy, I know you must be pretty shook up! I will be praying for Colt and praying that the Doctors can figure out the puzzle pieces...for your sake. Sorry you've had such a rough time. Blessings,
Debbie

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Hi Tammy,
I hope Colt is doin better.
A prayer went up...

Have a wonderful weekend.

hugs-Kath

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

Most wonderful mommy in the world,

I keep on for Colt. It's probably a good thing that I wasn't awake, because I would have been all scared and everything.

Love ya!!!! 8!!!!

Hugs, kisses, love, and blessings,
Love, Joy =D

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I sure hope they find out what is causing Colt to have this. It can be very scary, that's for sure! My middle son Jamie has an appointment with his doctor today, as he's had swelling and itching around his eye and facial areas, for a little while now. He's not sure if it's caused from allergies or just what is causing the swelling and itching, and he says it is quite painful.

I have both Colt and you in my thoughts and prayers.

You all take care now.

Love & Blessings,
Lynn/Okc

Old Glory Soldiers said...

Tammy,

I am glad that Colt is fine now. Allergies are a especially horrid thing when we don't know what they are. I pray that Colt avoids his triggers so your family doesn't have to go through that fear and uncertainty again.

Carmen C. prayers for your son and family with your emergency and a speedy recovery!

Have a Blessed Weekend,
Tina

Sandy said...

Oh my...I will pray for you and your son. Nothing is anyworse then not knowing what is causing this. I have had the hives twice before and I know how itchy and uncomfortable it truly can be. I hope he gets better real soon and maybe you guys can find what caused it.

Sandy

PS: Hopefully tomorrow you will be able to enjoy your daughters shows. Good Luck for today and tomorrow.

Michele said...

Oh my gosh Tammy ~ I will definitely keep Colt in my prayers. I hope he's feeling better...

Hugz,
Michele

GoodPlans said...

This happened to my hubby once, and it was from eating hazelnuts. Apparently he is allergic, so no hazelnut coffee for him! I'm new to your blog, sent over from Susan, the Penless Writer and my neighbor! Blessings from another Tammy.