Sunday, June 2, 2013

Pinned it, Made it! Monday ~ Week 42 ~

After taking a week off from Pinned it, Made it Monday last week for Memorial Day, it's that time again. I've decided to keep rolling with it even though participation has been slim lately.  And if you just stop by to read and can't participate  that's fine too.  Thanks to all those who do!  I appreciate you!  :)


This week I'm sharing another recipe that I tried that was another winner at our house.

The original pin:

Source:  Food.Com

Potsie's Creamed Chicken and Biscuits Casserole

1 small onion
1 1/2 tsp butter
2 lbs. chopped cooked chicken breasts or 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chooped pimiento or 1/2 cup sauteed red bell peppers or 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
refrigerated biscuits


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease the bottom and sides of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish or 10 inch quiche dish.

Chop the onion; heat butter in a small nonstick skillet and saute until tender.

Combine cooked onion, soup, chicken, milk, pimiento (or red bell pepper), and mayo in a bowl and then turn into the prepared baking dish.

Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.  Sprinkle q cup of the cheese over the baked mixture.

 Arrange biscuits decoratively in a single layer and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over them.

Return casserole to oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, usually about 20 minutes longer.

 Note:  This is RICH!  You may sub sour cream for all or part of the mayo if you wish to cut back on the heaviness.  The last time I made this I used a 1/4 cup of fat free mayo and 1/4 cup of sour cream.  I think it was delicious.  Also, I took the suggestion of adding a cup of cooked green peas.  What a terrific idea!  I LOVED it!  I think I might add two cups next time.  Thanks to you all for making my humble recipe and leaving your suggestions.  You GREATLY improved a recipe I was already proud of.  Thanks so much.

Note from Tammy:  I took the suggestion above from the original source of the recipe and used 1/4 cup of mayo and 1/4 cup of sour cream and the 2 cups of cooked green peas.  It reminded me sorta of a good chicken pot pie.  Jason and Luke especially loved this.  It was pretty good to me, but I tend to favor spicier recipes.  I will be making it again though since the guys really liked it.

**************************************

Now it's your turn!  I hope you'll link something you've pinned and tried from Pinterest!  We'd love to see!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great week!  :)

♥ Tammy ♥

8 comments:

LynnMarie said...

It looks like somthing I remember eating as a kid! Will have to try that one - maybe when it cools down, it's 90's up here.

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Tammy, oh yummy, love chicken and biscuits....not a great cook but would like to try this, Blessings Francine.

My Colonial Home said...

Love this kind of dish...looks and sounds awesome.
I think I had this at the last funeral we went to - loved it.
You can spice this up Tammy - play around with it and it may be a favorite for you too!

Karen

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

This looks yummy! I may have to give it a try. Have you tried it with homemade biscuits? I wonder if that would work.

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

Mama,

It does look like a chicken pot pie! :)

I'm so glad that you're going to keep doing Pinned It, Made It! Monday! :)

Love you! 8!

Love,
Joy :)

Michelle said...

This is very similar to shepherds pie my mom use to make. Except she added mix veggies. It's still one of my favorite memories.

Allison said...

Hi Tammy--- I had my Pinned It all made from last week, so it was pretty easy to get done this week! :-)

You recipe sounds like something a few of my kiddos would like. We'd probably go with green beans, since not a lot of pea lovers here. I'm with you on the spice factor but on recipes like this I add a lot of cracked black pepper to my serving along with garlic if it needs it.

Unknown said...

Nice post. It’s really informative for the followers and users of this site like me. I like the way you describe this. Thanks for sharing. . .
office shifting services Bangalore.